CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – UNI wrestling fans have the option to request mat-side season tickets for duals this year in the West Gym when tickets go on sale Sept. 17.
The Panthers will host six home events in 2019, and the Panthers will battle five teams that finished in the top 15 at last year's national championships.
UNI will open with two open tournaments on the road and wrap up its dual schedule with intrastate rival Iowa State at home in the West Gym Feb. 22. Seven Big 12 opponents are on the Panther schedule this season.
After a two-year hiatus from the Midlands, UNI will return to prestigious Midwest tournament. The last time the Panthers competed at Midlands was in 2015 (the 2016 season). Three-time NCAA qualifier Josh Alber took second at 133 pounds, and the team finished 13th overall. It was the best individual finish for UNI since former All-American Joe Colon won a title at the same weight at the 2013 tournament. UNI took fifth that year, which is the best finish in program history. The Panthers also took fifth in 1974.
The Panthers kept the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite on the schedule for 2019.
The home season will kick off Dec. 8 in the UNI-Dome when the Panthers host their annual tournament. The Panthers return to open the home dual season Dec. 16 against Cornell.
DATE / OPPONENT / WHERE / TIME (CT)
- Nov. 3 at Harold Nichols Open; Ames, Iowa
- Nov. 10 at Grand View Open; Des Moines Iowa
- Nov. 17 at University of Pittsburgh; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Nov. 18 at West Virginia; Morgantown, West Virginia; noon
- Nov. 30-Dec. 1 at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite; Las Vegas, Nevada
- Dec. 8 UNI Open; Cedar Falls, Iowa; UNI-Dome
- Dec. 16 vs. Cornell; Cedar Falls, Iowa; West Gym; 2 p.m.
- Dec. 29-30 Midlands; Evanston, Illinois; Sears Centre Arena
- Jan. 11 at South Dakota State University; Brookings, South Dakota; 7 p.m. *
- Jan. 12 at Nebraska; Lincoln, Nebraska
- Jan. 17 at Missouri; Columbia, Missouri; 7 p.m.
- Jan. 20 vs. Air Force; Cedar Falls, Iowa; West Gym; 2 p.m. *
- Jan. 25 vs. Northern Colorado; Cedar Falls, Iowa; 7 p.m. *
- Jan. 27 vs. Oklahoma; Cedar Falls, Iowa; 2 p.m. *
- Feb. 1 at Oklahoma State; Stillwater, Oklahoma *
- Feb. 9 at Utah Valley; Orem, Utah; 6 p.m. *
- Feb. 22 vs. Iowa State; Cedar Falls, Iowa; West Gym; 7 p.m. *
- March 9-10 at Big XII Championships; Tulsa, Oklahoma
- March 21-23 at NCAA Division I Championships; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
ABOUT THE PANTHERS
UNI will return with three All-Americans and eight former NCAA qualifiers. The Panther roster includes every starter from last year.
Seeded 15th, two-time NCAA qualifier Jacob Holschlag earned his first All-America honors last year with a fifth-place finish at 197 pounds. The team finished 24th overall.
Max Thomsen and Drew Foster return after earning All-America honors with a fifth-place finish at 149 pounds and seventh place at 184 pounds in 2017.
UNI qualified six wrestlers for the NCAA tournament: Jay Schwarm (125 pounds), Josh Alber (141 pounds), Max Thomsen (149 pounds), Taylor Lujan (174 pounds), Drew Foster (184 pounds), Jacob Holschlag (197 pounds). The Panthers also gain the addition of 2018 NCAA qualifier Keegan Moore, who wrestled at 184 pounds last season for Oklahoma State. Junior Bryce Steiert will be coming off a redshirt year after qualifying for the NCAA championships his freshman year at 157 pounds and sophomore year at 165 pounds.
The Panthers finished second in their debut at the Big 12 Championships in 2018. Lujan became the first UNI Panther to earn Big 12 Wrestler of the Week honors and the first Big 12 title in school history. Thomsen and Foster took second at the conference championships. Eight Panthers medaled.
Season tickets will go on sale for $49 Sept. 17. Fans can call (319) 273-4849 or go online at UNIPanthers.com/tickets.
New this season, wrestling will have a limited number of mat-side reserved seats available. Those tickets will be allocated by Panther Scholarship Club Level and Priority within that level. Those mat-side tickets will be $99 for the season and be sold on a request basis during the season ticket renewal period ending Nov. 8.
Customers will be notified by Nov. 14 if they will be receiving their request for mat-side tickets. Single dual and UNI Open tickets will go on sale 10 a.m. Nov. 9.