Upper Iowa placed eighth at the at the NWCA National Duals on Saturday marking the eleventh time in the last twelve years including the last eight straight that UIU has placed in the premier team event. The Peacocks went 0-2 on day two losing to No. 8 Lindenwood University (26-21) and the No. 13 University of Central Oklahoma (24-12) after going 2-1 on the first day of the National Duals. The Peacocks defeated West Liberty University (RV) 36-12 and Gannon University (RV) 24-12 around a 27-12 loss to No. 2 St. Cloud State University on Friday.
Justin Folley (No. 7, 133) was a perfect 5-0 over the weekend after two more wins on Saturday, while Brock Benitz (165) and Triston Westerlund (285) each went 4-1 in their respective weight classes.
Upper Iowa made the most of their four victories against No. 8 Lindenwood in their opening dual of Saturday. The Lions won the opening match with a tech fall at 125, but Folley put the Peacocks back in front with his third win by fall (2:41). Lindenwood took control over the next four matches racking up 18 points with a pair of falls at 141 pounds and 157 pounds. Jordan Gundrum broke the slide at 174 pounds when he scored a first period fall (1:59) to pull UIU within striking distance 23-12. The Lions picked up a decision at 184 to secure the win and hold off the Peacocks. Nick Baumler (No. 12, 197) won by decision and Westerlund earned a second-period fall (4:46) to end the dual.
Folley got the Peacocks on the scoreboard again in the seventh place match against No. 13 Central Oklahoma with a 9-7 win in sudden victory. The win tied the dual at 3-3. The Bronchos jumped out to a 15-3 advantage thanks to a major at 141, a tech fall at 149 and a decision at 157. Brock Benitz won his fourth match of the weekend at 165 pounds with an 8-5 decision and Connor Williamsfollowed with a 6-2 win at 174 pounds. The wins got UIU within six, 15-9, but a decision to UCO at 184 pounds and a pin for the Bronchos at heavyweight sealed the deal. Baumler posted UIU's fourth win of the match at 197 pounds with a 7-5 decision.
Upper Iowa will have two weeks to prep for their next action as they begin the Northern Sun Conference dual season. UIU will travel to Minnesota State University, Mankato and Southwest Minnesota State University on Jan. 17-18 in Mankato and Marshall, Minn.
No. 8 Lindenwood 26 - No. 21 Upper Iowa 21
- 125 - Carlos Jacquez (Lindenwood) over Maleek Williams(Upper Iowa) TF 20-4
- 133 - Justin Folley (Upper Iowa) over Tanner Hitchcock (Lindenwood) Fall 2:41
- 141 - Tyler Wicken (Lindenwood) over Ryan Schmalen(Upper Iowa) Fall 1:09
- 149 - Gavin Londoff (Lindenwood) over Ryan Steffen (Upper Iowa) Dec 6-2
- 157 - Nate Trepanier (Lindenwood) over Tucker Black(Upper Iowa) Fall 1:02
- 165 - Kyle Jolas (Lindenwood) over Brock Benitz (Upper Iowa) SV-1 8-6
- 174 - Jordan Gundrum (Upper Iowa) over Jorge Guerrero (Lindenwood) Fall 1:59
- 184 - Colton Clingenpeel (Lindenwood) over Dalton Hahn(Upper Iowa) Dec 10-3
- 197 - Nick Baumler (Upper Iowa) over Jared McKindley (Lindenwood) Dec 6-2
- 285 - Triston Westerlund (Upper Iowa) over Tage McNutt (Lindenwood) Fall 4:46
No. 13 Central Oklahoma 24 - No. 21 Upper Iowa 12
- 125 - Noah McQuigg (Central Oklahoma) over Maleek Williams (Upper Iowa) Dec 13-11
- 133 - Justin Folley (Upper Iowa) over Rio Zamora (Central Oklahoma) SV-1 9-7
- 141 - Will Steltzlen (Central Oklahoma) over Ryan Schmalen(Upper Iowa) Maj 10-2
- 149 - Brik Filippo (Central Oklahoma) over Ryan Steffen(Upper Iowa) TF 17-2
- 157 - Dayton Garrett (Central Oklahoma) over Mac Spotts(Upper Iowa) Dec 13-6
- 165 - Brock Benitz (Upper Iowa) over Wyatt Jordan (Central Oklahoma) Dec 8-5
- 174 - Connor Williams (Upper Iowa) over Devin Crawl (Central Oklahoma) Dec 6-2
- 184 - Heath Gray (Central Oklahoma) over Dalton Hahn(Upper Iowa) Dec 6-4
- 197 - Nick Baumler (Upper Iowa) over Colton Looper (Central Oklahoma) Dec 7-5
- 285 - Blake Berryhill (Central Oklahoma) over Triston Westerlund (Upper Iowa) Fall 6:59