MADISON, Wis. -- The third-ranked University of Iowa wrestling team clinched a share of the Big Ten regular season championship with a 35-2 win over No. 16 Wisconsin on Sunday at the UW Field House.
The Hawkeyes improved to 14-0 overall and 9-0 in the Big Ten. The regular season title is Iowa’s 11th since the conference started recognizing a dual champion in 1999.
"We getting ready for Oklahoma State, we're getting ready for the postseason, whether we get a trophy for this or not," said Iowa head coach Tom Brands. "We have to keep getting better and that's the bottom line. Our best wrestling is in front of us, but our best wrestling is coming out of us."
The Hawkeyes dominated the dual, winning the first nine matches and owning a 30-2 advantage in takedowns. Iowa won big and small, putting up bonus points in six matches and winning two more in sudden victory.
Spencer Lee won by fall at 125, Mitch Bowman won by technical fall, 27-9, at 174, and Austin DeSanto (133), Vince Turk (141), Kaleb Young (157), and Jacob Warner (197) all won by major decision.
Second-ranked Alex Marinelli won a 6-4 decision in a matchup of top three wrestlers. Marinelli used a reversal in the third period to force overtime, and finished on a single leg 35 seconds into sudden victory to top No. 3 Evan Wick.
Pat Lugo also won in sudden victory, scoring a takedown in with four seconds on the clock to defeat No. 19 Cole Martin, 3-1.
Cash Wilcke scored two takedowns in the third period to win 5-4 at 184. Wisconsin finally got on the board with a 1-0 win at heavyweight.
Iowa returns to the mat Sunday, Feb. 24 at Oklahoma State. The final dual of the regular season begins at 2 p.m. (CT) at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
- The Hawkeyes clinched a share of the Big Ten Championship (Penn State). Iowa has won or shared the Big Ten regular season title 11 times since the conference started recognizing a dual meet champion in 1999.
- Iowa is 9-0 in the Big Ten, completing its eighth undefeated conference season under Tom Brands.
- Iowa improved to 7-0 against ranked opponents.
- Spencer Lee’s fall was his sixth of the season, and third in under one minute (0:56).
- Austin DeSanto has scored bonus points in four straight matches and has scored 82 points in those matches (2 major dec., 2 tech. fall)
- Lee and DeSanto improved to a combined 23-2 with 25 bonus-point victories.
- Vince Turk won his first Big Ten dual of the season.
- Pat Lugo improved to 3-4 against ranked opponents.
- Alex Marinelli improved to 19-0 with his team-best eighth fall of the season. He has won a career-best 19 straight. He is 17-0 all-time in Big Ten duals. Marinelli improved to 5-0 against ranked opponents, including four top six wins.
- Jacob Warner improved to 8-0 in the Big Ten.
125 -- #2 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned Ethan Rotondo (W), 0:56; 6-0
133 -- #3 Austin DeSanto (IA) major dec. Jens Lantz (W), 21-8; 10-0
141 -- Vince Turk (IA) major dec. Michael Cullen (W), 11-1; 14-0
149 -- #12 Pat Lugo (IA) dec. #19 Cole Martin (W), 3-1 SV1; 17-0
157 -- #7 Kaleb Young (IA) major dec. Garrett Model (W), 11-2; 21-0
165 -- #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) dec. #3 Evan Wick (W), 6-4 SV1; 24-0
174 – Mitch Bowman (IA) tech. fall Anders Lantz (W), 27-9; 29-0
184 -- #11 Cash Wilcke (IA) dec. Mason Reinhardt (W), 5-4; 32-0
197 -- #4 Jacob Warner (IA) major dec. Beau Breske (W), 9-0; 36-0
285 -- #8 Trent Hillger (W) dec. #8 Trent Hillger (W), 1-0; 35-2*
*both teams were deducted one team point following the 285-pound match.