- Jack Thomsen- Union- JR
- Cobe Siebrecht- Lisbon- SR
- Eli Loyd- Pleasant Valley- JR
- Kaleb Olejniczak- Perry- SR
- Colby Schriever- Mason City- JR
- Nick Hamilton- Underwood- FR
* Jack Thomsen had a flawless season this year in which he went 47-0 and defeated guys like Colby Schriever, Deven Strief, Chase McClaren, Kaleb Olejniczak, etc. Look for him to keep it going next year!
* Cobe Siebrecht had one hiccup all season, which was at State Duals. He was pinned by a Freshman named Carson Lynott. Not sure what happened in that one, but he was dominant otherwise and notched a win over nationally ranked Wyatt Henson from Christian Brothers College. Siebrecht placed 2nd, 2nd and 1st in his brilliant high school campaign.
* Eli Loyd was on fire during state. He’s been on fire for a while…a sharknado to be exact. He dominated his way through state with 2 pins, a technical fall and a major decision. His only loss to an Iowan this season was a wild 11-10 loss to Cody Anderson from Waukee, who placed 3rd.
* Kaleb Olejniczak capped off a great career in which he was a 4 time state qualifier, 3 time placer and a 1 time finalist.
* Colby Schriever of Mason City won Freestyle and Greco state last year. He also won Freestyle state the year before also. This has presumably guided him in his jumps as state qualifier as a Freshman, 7th place finisher as a Sophomore to state finalist as a Junior this year. Colby has been gradually building up to the level that he is at and will continue to build to get to where he needs to be when he enters the Hawkeye’s room. He has some matches here and there where he will lose to a guy that he shouldn’t lose to, but I look for those moments to fade away. He had some real solid wins this year vs. Cody Anderson, Drevon Ross, Ian Heise, Cael Frost, etc. Great wrestler with tons of upside.
* Nick Hamilton from Underwood impressed the heck out of me both times I saw him wrestle (state and the J-Hawk Inv.) When a Freshman is able to come in and compete at a high level right away at a weight like 138, then that’s incredible. His win in the quarterfinals over Riley Wright from Denver was just huge. Wright is a great Senior. He also had nice wins over placers; Deven Strief, Graham Gambrall, Kruise Kiburz, Grant Hoeger, etc. This kid has won a couple-few national-level events already. He used to be from Nebraska, but kicked off high school by wrestling for fantastic 1A program, Underwood, who has a collection of guys who are just scratching the surface of being state champs. This kid will be around a while and it will be fun.
* IN THE HUNT: Riley Wright from Denver capped off a nice career where he placed 4th, 3rd, 5th and 3rd at state. One of the better guys in the grade who just never got a title. Had the talent for it, though. Cody Anderson has placed 3rd, 5th and 3rd at state now and will get one more chance next year. Chase McClaren from Atlantic finished a good career that consisted of 4 state qualifications, a 7th place finish and a runner-up finish. Props to him!!!