Five recommendations from the regular April meeting of the IHSAA’s wrestling advisory committee were approved unanimously by the Board of Control last week. The changes, effective in the 2020-21 season:
- To allow schools to opt out of dual team postseason events by the first competition date.
- To qualify the 16 sectional champions and the next eight highest-ranked teams (by the IWCOA) for the regional dual team tournament in Class 2A and Class 1A.
- If a sectional champion opted out of dual team postseason, the next highest-ranked team would qualify.
- To reduce the state traditional tournament seeding criteria regarding common opponents from two points back to one point.
- To seed all 16 wrestlers in each bracket for the state traditional tournament.
- To allow host tournament directors to determine the length of subvarsity matches at local regular season events.
The wrestling advisory committee previously met in February to discuss the State Dual Tournament and wrestling postseason dates. No changes were recommended by the advisory committee at that time.
The NFHS wrestling rules committee announced its updates for the 2020-21 season on Tuesday, April 28.